My Family

My Family

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Diligence

DILIGENCE:

Each year Trevor and I pick a word for the year. Usually it is not us picking a word, but the word picks us. Haha. It is usually an area where we are lacking and that needs attention in our walk with Christ. This year my word is diligence. I went through several words...health, energy, serve, commit and I ultimately ended on diligence as I was reading my 31 day devotional of the Proverbs 31 Woman book. (She is diligent in every area of her life and that is when I realized I need a "Whatever it takes" attitude which ultimately led me to diligence as my word) I think you have to look at the opposite of your word to really understand. The opposite of diligent, to me, is without purpose or effort. I don't think I lack purpose or effort, but some of my efforts lacked purpose for the long haul. For example: I want to be more physically active so I can have energy for my boys (my VERY ACTIVE boys), I want to set a healthy example for them regarding food and healthy choices, so I want to cook healthier meals. I think I do good for a short period of time in these areas but then life happens and for some reason it stops. I think my life looks like that in a lot of areas. I don't want life to get in the way this year. I want to be diligent and intentional in what I set my mind to. It’s hard for me to do long term goals, I need short term results. So, diligence is my word for the year, and I will be making small monthly goals regarding the areas that I want to see growth. 

I taught on my word in my moms group, so I wanted to share my lesson:

Diligence: careful and persistent work or effort.
Synonyms: Hard work, effort, care, rigor, persistence, dedication, commitment 

“So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭6:9‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:23-24‬ ‭NLT‬‬

In reading and studying this word, I found several ways God calls us to be diligent:
-Seeking God. (Hebrews 11: 6)
-Remember truths God has shown you and teach them to your children. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7)
-Keep all God’s commandments. (Deuteronomy 6:17)
-Guard your heart. (Proverbs 4:23)
-Continue growing. (2 Peter 5-8)
-Being the person God has called you to be. (2 Peter 10)
-Minister to other Christians. (Hebrews 6: 10-12)

I am going to have several focuses this year, but with a diligent attitude. I want every area of my life to be in sync with scripture. If I rid what is not in line with scripture, I can invest my time and energy on being diligent in the areas that matter. 

I will be diligent in: seeking God, giving my husband my best, caring for my family, prioritizing, having a “whatever it takes” attitude, serving others, finances, taking care of myself and my purpose.

My first January goal was to seek God first thing every morning and to be more bold in sharing. I am reading two books that require me to read a chapter a day and I am in a devotional with friends on the YouVersion Bible app. I am either having to write or share what is going on in my life daily with Christ. It's great accountability and something I look forward to every day. I don't always finish everything in the morning, but when I get a free moment or when nap time rolls around, this is my first priority.
Also in January, my goals revolved around health and fitness. I chose to start there because if I am being intentional about being physically active, then I have more confidence and am able to give my husband my best, I have to be prioritizing because workouts don't just happen and being physically active helps in taking care of myself so I can better take care of my family. It touched so many of the areas that I want to see progress. As January is coming to an end, I am so proud of the effort and results that have happened in January and it makes me excited for my February goals.

Here are some questions you might consider answering:

*Think of a person you know who is diligent. Describe what you observe in this person that causes you to call them diligent. 
*What are some of the benefits of being diligent? (Pleases God, thoughtful and considerate of others, meets deadlines, good team player)
*What factor in our lives sometimes make it difficult to be diligent? (Too busy, our culture wants “instant” results, distractions...)
*How has a lack of diligence negatively affected your life in the past month?
*In what area do you want to be more diligent in this week?


What is your word for the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment