My Family

My Family

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Interactive Notebook (Pt. 2)

If you haven't read my Interactive Notebook (Pt. 1) I would recommend checking it out. It's the start to my Interactive Notebook adventure taking place in my room this year. I have never done one before, so this is kind of new for me, but I wanted to share along the way.

Our first section we cover in the 6th grade is decimals. We review ordering and comparing decimals, adding and subtracting decimals. Then we begin teaching multiplying and dividing decimals. I didn't necessarily do a lot of foldables and things, but we had rhymes that helped us remember things and we took Cornell Notes. 

Here is my review of comparing and ordering decimals:


We then moved onto rounding-this really is a tough things for kids to grasp. 
Our little saying is: find your place, go next door. Five or greater, add one more. Flex your muscles like a hero. All the rest, turn into zero. 

We then started to review adding and subtracting with decimals. I use Cornell Notes format. We really focused on estimation before actually solving. 

After adding and subtracting, we multiplied. We first teach with just one number containing a decimal and then teach with both numbers containing a decimal. Again, we focused on estimation before actually solving. We estimated first to help us place the decimal until we learned a consistent way to place the decimal. 


We decided this year to put area and perimeter with this section since you are adding or multiplying to find those two things. 

Our last thing we taught in this section was dividing decimals. Most students coming into 6th grade aren't confident with just dividing, so we take a few days to go over that. I saw a foldable on Pinterest that I liked to help the students divide, so we made one of those. 





We then put our foldable to use and practiced with a few problems. 

Then we jumped in and started dividing decimals. Again, we took Cornell Notes for these. We start with just the dividend having a decimal and then we teach it with a decimal in both the divisor and the dividend. 



To sum everything up, we made a foldable that will help us with all 4 operations:


Gosh, we cover a lot first quarter. We also throw in Mean, Median, Mode and Range as a review for the students. I found this on Pinterest and printed it for all the students before I had them play a dice game with it. 
I like the little saying "hey diddle diddle, the medians in the middle; you add and subtract for the mean. The mode is the one that appears the most, and the range is the difference between. 

My dice game consisted of the students rolling 2 dice 6 times. Each time they rolled the dice they would multiply them together to get one number. Then they had to find the mean, median, mode, range and outlier for each set of data they collected from their game

Again, if anyone is interested in any of the printable things I have posted just email me at jilliancmorris@gmail.com

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment