My Family

My Family

Saturday, January 28, 2017

My Word for the Year

Each year Trevor and I choose a word for the year and it's really neat to see how God uses our words to really grow our relationship with him. It's kind of funny how you don't really get to choose your word, God basically chooses it for you. I feel like these are areas that I have struggled before and I truly think this is God's way of nudging you to hone in on that area and turn it into a character trait that reflects Christ. To be honest, when God laid this word on my heart I thought it was a little untimely where I felt I have been in my walk with Christ. But, when I really started thinking about it, this is definitely an area I was lacking. I am in the word a lot during the day - I attend this bible study called BSF and have daily "homework," I am a part of a moms group that I have to plan lessons for, I am in a life group that meets weekly and our conversations are centered on the word, I lead worship and am constantly picking apart songs and really thinking how they apply to my life and I'm always thinking about what words to say between songs that will lead people into a state of worship. So, like I said, initially this word seemed odd to me, if I'm being honest, it felt a little immature for where I felt I was with God. However, the more I sat on it and pondered it, the more fitting it felt. You see, most of the things listed above were studying about God and I feel like God was communicating to me that I needed to be in communication with God.

My word for the year is: PRAYER

When I was thinking about why God led me to this word, here is what came to mind: I usually pray every day, when someone pops up in my mind I pray for them. When I hear about unfortunate circumstances, I stop and pray for that situation and all involved. When my child is not sleeping, I pray for rest :), when something exciting happens, I praise God. It dawned on me that I needed to be more intentional with prayer when a friend was telling me about their prayer that had been answered and they thanked me for praying for them. There was a moment that I didn't know what they were talking about. I know I prayed for them, but I had completely forgot about their situation. I needed to be more intentional! I needed some serious, get on my knees and pray, moments. I needed to see my prayers being answered, not to give myself credit for an answered prayer, but to truly reflect on how good and holy our God is.

I also know that when you seek him, you will find him. We had a crazy year last year (I quit teaching, Trevor started his own company, we had a baby, we sold our house...). We did all of this through intentional prayer. It's because of prayer that we are where we are today and I wouldn't change a single thing. But I also know that we can't stop praying and seeking him now. He has led us this far and I'm excited to see how it shapes the next chapter of our lives. I know God is going to show up in big ways this year. I am expectant to hear from him.

I thought it would be neat if everyone in our mom's group picked a word for the year and taught a lesson on it. So here is my lesson and what applicable ways I am intentionally mastering my word.

*WHERE DO YOU STRUGGLE THE MOST IN YOUR PRAYER LIFE?

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24
*HOW DO YOUR PRAYERS REFLECT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT GOD?
*HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO UNANSWERED PRAYERS? IF SOMEONE COMPLAINS THAT THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD BECAUSE HE'S NEVER ANSWERED THEIR PRAYERS, WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE?

"Devote yourself to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2
*HAVE YOU EVER BEEN PRAYING TO SEE CHANGE IN SOMEONE ELSE BUT INSTEAD NOTICE THAT YOUR PRAYER CHANGED YOU MORE THAN THE OTHER PERSON?
*HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT WE DON'T MIND WAITING AS LONG AS WE CAN COMPLAIN (IN LINE AT THE GROCERY STORE/YOUR FLIGHT GETTING DELAYED), WHAT DOES GOD WANT YOU TO DO AS YOU WAIT ON AN ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYER?
---Psalms 37:7 "Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for Him to act."
*HOW HAVE YOU GROWN SPIRITUALLY DURING A TIME WHEN YOU HAD TO WAIT ON GOD?
*WHAT DO YOU NEED PRAYERS FOR TODAY?

Practical ways I'm staying connected in prayer:
-I have a list on my phone of all my current prayer requests ---> I look at it daily!
-When a prayer is answered, I am physically writing it down and putting it in a jar. That way at the end of the year, I get to see all that God has done just in my life.

My favorite verses that I'm looking at daily:
"Devote yourself to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." 1 Chronicles 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment