My Family

My Family

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Apologies at Our House

With two toddlers at home all day every day, we are provided with LOTS of opportunities to apologize to each other. I'm sure siblings have had their tiffs since the beginning of time, I know my brother and I had our moments, but I pray every day for my boys to have a great relationship. I want them to be more than brothers but true friends! Best friends. I read this thought about treating our siblings like we would treat our best friends somewhere in a devotional awhile back and it really stuck with me. 

Daily we talking about sharing, not taking toys from each other, why it's not nice to hit our brother or chase him around the house just to get a reaction. It can be draining some days...can anyone relate?

I have implemented a new line in our apology lately and I'm starting to see the fruits of it, so I wanted to share. 

Brother, I'm sorry I <insert offense>. You are my best friend and I'm sorry I treated you that way. Will you forgive me?

Trevor and I would always make them apologize and ask for forgiveness, but I made them add in the best friend part. I want them to speak it and know it! The cool thing is, Brooks now tells me that bubby (Rhett) is his best friend! It was the sweetest thing ever when I heard him say it without the context of an apology! Now this is part of our daily lingo. We talk about how our brother is our best friend and we talk about what best friends do for each other and how best friends are supposed to treat each other. 

We are totally still learning and navigating having two boys, especially so close in age. So, if you have any tips or tricks you want to share, please do!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment