My Family

My Family

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Interactive Notebook (Pt. 3)

The school year is moving right along and we have completed our next chapter. My students will be taking a test over it this next week. I recently made a To-Do List for the students so they could see what we have to cover before Christmas.
Their test is over chapter 1 and chapter 2 and I will be highlighting the Interactive Notebook entries we did for chapter 1. If you are interested in getting started on an Interactive Notebook, be sure to check out my Interactive Notebook (Pt. 1) post and my Interactive Notebook (Pt. 2) post. This post includes powers and exponents, order of operations and evaluate expressions. I honestly love this chapter. I think it's fun to teach and most students think it's kind of fun! 

First up: Powers and Exponents
I made these colored sheets for each student. I made them so there are 6 on a page so I didn't have to make that many copies. 

I will say, students seem to understand exponents in isolation, but when you add all the steps of order of operations, they completely forget how to evaluate an exponent. We referred back to this page in their spirals often. 

Next up: Order of Operations
The first thing I have the student do is fill out an anticipation guide. 
First they just read through the statements and decide if they think it's true. Then I had them work with a partner and use their textbook and they had to find support for each of the statements and document what page they found the information on. I really like this activity because it makes them think and they have to read the textbook, which is challenging for a lot of students. Especially since most of my students are below grade level. 
We also made this fun page:
Again, we referred to this page a lot when they forgot the next step in solving. 

Lastly, we covered Evaluate Expression 
We just took Cornell Notes over this section since it is so similar to Order of Operations. At the top of the notes we covered our new vocabulary and then did some practice problems with plugging in variables. 
Since it was so close to Halloween and Fall in general, another teacher created this cute pumpkin worksheet. They have to solve the problems and then use their answers to help color. 
I also have this worksheet with just the order of operations as well. 

That wraps up our Chapter 1! If you are interested in any of the printable items, just let me know! 
jilliancmorris@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment