My Family

My Family

Monday, February 4, 2013

Duck Duck Goose

Well actually it's Duck, Goose, and Dove!!
Well hunting season is officially over....phew!! More often than not I don't mind hunting season, but with Trevor starting busy season at the beginning of January, working extremely long hours during the week and a few hours on Saturdays, the last thing I REALLY want is for Trevor to be out hunting during the few hours we have together during the weekend. I know Trevor loves hunting and it's only the first few weeks of busy, so I find ways to entertain myself! Plus he is usually gone so early that I don't even know he is gone half the time. Anyway...last weekend our neighbors Randy and Cassie decided we needed to fry up the duck, goose, and dove that they killed over the season. Although it was not a healthy evening by any means, we had fun frying up everything in the kitchen...
I know...it looks a little disgusting!

Battering them up...we did a few different variations of batter, but for the most part they all ended up tasting pretty similar. One was more flour based and then we used Bisquick in the others - of course we added several seasonings to all.




We fried up some potatoes and made some chips and then we did fish as well...it was delicious!!!!

Next up was the duck, goose and dove...

To be completely honest, the only thing that tasted good at all to me was the dove! The others liked the goose and duck as well, but I stuck with just the dove.


It was definitely an experience for me...however, I don't see myself cooking much goose or duck in the up and coming months! If you do choose to cook duck or goose, I don't think I would recommend frying it. I know that those meats are supposed to be cooked really rare and the fryer just cooks it too fast that it ends up being a little over done. Trevor sent quite a bit of duck and goose away for someone to make sausage and jerky...so I'll let you know how all that turns out when we get the results!
Well this was officially the most un-girly post I have ever written!
I'm kind of behind on posts, so I will try and catch up in the next week or so! HAPPY MONDAY!

2 comments:

  1. How did I not know you had a blog??? I so enjoy your pics and hearing what you're up to.

    Jill
    a-little-red-wagon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have loved keeping up with your blog as well!!! ;)

      Delete